place to think

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Be proud to help

My words of wiss-dom : Help others, Be Proud about it, Brag about it.

This is one such bragging session. I helped a poor girl (extremely unacceptable bad quality of life ) by helping her getting money for her heart surgery - 50 000 rs(it covered all the expenses , even post operational ). she is live and kicking now, and I have seen her just once in my life :). I didn't put any money, (i don't even get enuf porketmonney) . I just sincerely acted as her agent and did things that will make her get money. ( this process by itself is does not hold any relevance in this post- it requires one for itself).

Now, the usual reasoning is that if you help any one in any way, you are not supposed to keep saying about it - this is completely wrong, you can say it if the others can never findout who the benefeciary is.

Let me tell you why :
* I got this chance to help because someone who knew that i like to help others called me and asked me to do something, this clearly shows that if more people know that you help, then you get more "help me/ somebody else" request so, you have a high probability of doing something worthwhile.

* As you keep helping, you gather much needed reputation. For example, someone who knew that i am involved in helping cancer institute sent me money as donation to the institute. the moral: you become the "proper channel" for others to provide help. they will no more worry about their money or other resources they want to give - they know it is in save 'highly reputed' hands.

There might be a other few good reasons - like you feel happy for a lifetime doing such a thing.

but, helpig does not provide you a erotic or exotic form of happiness like a few successes or scientific achievements (for proof, consult stephen hawkings quotes - has said once that scientific achievement is like sex , to paraphrase ).

helping is a tough job (proof, social service people are considered to be the most unhappy about their job. the most happy are the hair stylists ).

helping sometimes backfires, sometimes they exploit it, might forget you after getting help etc., but, it is worth it,.

so, start helping professionally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home